Most breakfast cereals contain as much sugar as cookies or biscuits.
Muffins are usually just cupcakes without the icing!
Flavoured yogurts can have more sugar than most ice cream does!
These breakfast options may be easy, but the problem with them is this:
Starting the day with a lot of sugar is your front of the queue ticket to board the blood sugar rollercoaster
Which means a day of high cravings, low energy, up-and-down mood swings, and a nasty case of the hangries. (Hungry and Angry!).
Take a look at this recipe for a better start to the day
…and improved energy, less cravings and a less rumbly tummy!?
This breakfast recipe will help you get off to a better start with the perfect balance of carbs, fat, protein, and greens
and it’s the addition of protein and healthy fat alongside healthy carbs that keeps your blood sugars stable and keeps you feel full for longer.
It’s a little different from your typical breakfast, but give it a go and see how your mind and body feels during the day. It’s sweet and salty, with peppery bites of rocket and creamy egg yolks. Plantains add just the right amount of healthy carbs to give you energy and support your gut health. (They look like bananas). If plantains are a step too far, use butternut squash instead – precooked from the day before.
Poached Eggs, Plantain on a bed of Rocket
This breakfast recipe is:
- Low FODMAP
- Low Glycemic
Yep, it’s pretty much perfect for anyone!
Eggs with Rocket and Plantains
Time: 25 minutes; Serves 1
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 ripe plantain, peeled and sliced
- 50g rocket
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (optional, if poaching)
- 2 eggs
- sea salt, to taste
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the plantains and cook for about 5 minutes per side, until golden brown. While the plantains fry, add the rocket to your plate and cook the eggs.
- To poach the eggs, bring a small saucepan of water to simmer then add the apple cider vinegar. Crack one egg at a time into a small cup and carefully add to the pan. Cook eggs for 3 to 4 minutes before removing with a slotted spoon and placing on the bed of rocket.
- Add the cooked plantains to the plate, sprinkle with sea salt as desired and enjoy!
- Hard boil the eggs and cook the plantains in advance to make this an easy breakfast to throw together in minutes.
- Your plantain should have some black spots on it to indicate that it is ripe. Avoid green plantains, as they are impossible to peel.
Let me know what you think 🙂