Although it is a whole body massage, the massage can be tailored to your wants and needs; for example you may choose to have just a back massage which includes shoulders and neck.
Massage helps relaxation that brings the body into homeostasis, a place of balance where the body can repair and renew. It may also have a number of benefits to all the body systems improving:
- Reduction in stress and anxiety by relaxing the mind and body.
- Improving blood circulation and bringing nutrients to the muscles and the surface of the skin
- Stimulating lymphatic drainage helping to remove toxins from the body
- Regular massage may help strengthen the immune system.
- Decreasing heart rate as the body relaxes which helps lower blood pressure.
- Aid digestion by stimulating peristalsis (involuntary muscle contractions of the intestines).
- Helping to reduce pain by encouraging the release of endorphins – the body’s natural ‘feel good’ hormone.
- Creating a feeling of wellbeing.
What to expect
During the initial consultation
We will sit down together and you will be asked about your health and wellbeing. The sort of questions we will cover are ‘do you suffer from high blood pressure, menstrual cramps, skin conditions or are pregnant?’
Your answers will build a picture of your health and wellbeing. If you answer yes to conditions such as: epilepsy, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart condition or recent head injury or life limiting illness, further questions will be asked and you may be asked to get a letter from your doctor saying that they are happy for you receive massage and it will any untoward impact on your condition.
Your massage preferences:
We will talk about any areas that you prefer not to be massaged. An example of this is it you are having a whole body massage and you would prefer not to include the tummy area. Or maybe you have very ticklish feet and would rather exclude them from the massage.
I will also tell you about the areas that I would not perform massage on; for example I would avoid areas that you are likely to feel discomfort or if you have a skin condition.
Getting ready for the massage
I will leave you to undress (for a whole body massage, you will remove everything apart from your pants). If you come to my studio there will be a basket for you to put your belongings in. Once undressed you will lay on the couch and cover yourself with the towel provided.
The massage will be tailored to your preferences. This can be a whole body massage or for example just back, shoulders and neck.
I will ask you to give me feedback on the amount of pressure you receive. Some women like very gentle massage strokes, others prefer a firm pressure. Remember though, this is Swedish massage and not a sports massage!
After the massage
To get the best out of your treatment it is advised that you
- Rest and relax
- Drink plenty of water, sipping it through the day will allow the elimination systems to rid the body of any toxins.
- Avoid stimulants: caffeine, tea, cigarettes – hold onto that lovely relaxed feeling instead
- Eat light meals to aid digestion
- Book in for your next massage or maybe you would like some nutrition or health coaching?
Vitality Holistic Massage accredited by The Beauty Guild and Verified by Independence Professional Therapists International